All the information about rate limits can be found on our developer site:
    http://dev.twitter.com/pages/rate-limiting

When talking about rate limits it is important to be clear about the
API being used, as each has their own.

For the REST API (requests to api.twitter.com) the limit is 150
requests per hour unauthenticated and 350 request per hour for an
authenticated user. When you make an authenticated request the users
rate limit is affected, not the IPs.
The Search API has it's own rate limit based on the IP the request
comes from. There is no authenticating for Search so all requests are
IP rate limited.
The Streaming APIs do not have rate limits in the same way. For the
Streaming API the rate limit is controlled by the predicate limits
(5,000 user ids etc) and the allowed sampling rate (1% etc).

I hope that clarifies how the rate limits apply.

Best
@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/themattharris