Real time tracking is best done with Streaming, but can be done with Search. Historical search back in time is done only with Search and only covers the indexed tweets that Twitter makes available. "Long-term" historical search can be done with Topsy, but I'm not familiar with the details.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net http://twitter.com/znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." - Paul Erdos

Quoting "D. Smith" <emai...@sharedlog.com>:

I'm confused now. Which API should I use Streaming or Search?
What I want is to monitor Twitter and every time someone uses certain
words (maybe a total of about 20 words that I want to monitor
continuously), I want to show the tweet on the screen (or record it
into database)

Should I use search api or streaming api?