Thanks for your reply.

I'm definitely using the correct API paths, I've checked that more
times than I'd care to count.

For example:

http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/user_timeline.json

I'm using that to call a (non protected) user's tweet timeline, along
with their user name or ID. That method doesn't require
authentication, so it should be limited by IP address.

A check against this:

http://api.twitter.com/1/account/rate_limit_status.xml

Returns 150/150, and gradually depletes as the API calls are fired
against the user_timeline.json method.

Neither of those two methods require oAuth if I'm not mistaken, and
are wholly IP address dependent.

I've confirmed with Sutorius that my IP is properly white listed for
the @tweetcepts account.

What should I try next?