To collect all this info myself, I would need to operate some kind of
service on an ongoing basis. This is not that practical with a pure
client app like an iPhone app. Yes, I could build a server to collect
all the info and what not, but it would be much more convenient if I
could just go to Twitter site and look it up without having to build
and operate something.

I do agree that it is probably not a big business problem for Twitter
on a grand scale. But Twitter's success has largely come out of the
ecosystem. It would be cool if Twitter invested in small things like
this to keep us developers happy so that we could keep making money
for both them and ourselves.