This is by design for the Search API. When a Tweet doesn't include any Geo
information the Search API will instead use the location in the users
profile.

The Streaming API looks only for Geo information on a Tweet and ignores the
user location. If the users location is not important to you this may be a
better solution.

Best,
@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter