On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Nick Telford
<nick.telf...@tweetmeme.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Can we get a clarification on the maximum length of a username? The
> twitter.com frontend refuses to accept anything over 15 characters,
> and I'm fairly sure 15 characters is mentioned elsewhere in some
> documentation.
>
> However, we're seeing an increasing number of users who have (somehow)
> managed to register with a longer username:
>
> http://twitter.com/toasteroverheated
> http://twitter.com/veganstraightedge
> http://twitter.com/Laura_Villas_Boas
> http://twitter.com/colepatrickturner
>
> The number of user's that have managed to generate usernames over 15
> characters in length is increasing, although not by a lot. It wouldn't
> surprise me if there are < 100 users affected.
>
> A clarification on the absolute limit would be useful for us to
> determine how best to optimise our storage of usernames.

I think it's really important get an specific definition on which
usernames we may expect historically, and what's the actual username
criteria.

Can any twitter dev explain how we may validate usernames and what's
the best way to store them into a db?

Thanks!

--
Slds,