Hi Joe,

This is likely a caching sync issue. You can report bugs to
http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list

I personally recommend avoiding statuses/friends as it's more of a legacy
method than other means of discovering the same information. I personally
recommend using friends/ids and users/lookup in conjunction with each other
instead. While there's a best-effort to provide the most recent status in
embedded user objects, the definitive means to determine this is by getting
the most recent tweet from the user's statuses/user_timeline

Taylor