The statuses/friends method was specifically recommended to me to work
around the RateLimit problem I was having.  I don't know any other way
to get the statuses of approximately 60 users every minute when my app
is behind a firewall (preventing OAuth authentication for each
individual user).  So I use my app's access token/secret to get my
friends (and their most recent status).

I can't use the statuses/user_timeline because of basic auth going
away and OAuth requiring a callback to my server all due to rate
limiting and my inablity to get whitelisted.

Besides, what is the point of having an API method if it isn't
reliable (even when it successfully makes the call)?