This amount of data is trivial compared to the total amount of data sent
over Site Streams. The friends list per user is roughly the size of a tweet
or two. We have to weigh the cost of maintaining the feature vs. the
bandwidth and CPU savings. Unless the savings is significant, generally the
optimal solution is to let the client discard unneeded data.

-John