> However, we get occasional 401s. After digging around a bit we found
> that correctly-signed requests can timeout on the server side and
> Twitter returns a 401.

I'll be willing to bet that you got an "invalid / used nonce" message
too... I suspect your machine's clock is out of sync with twitters by
"too much".  Make sure the machine you are using for this does an NTP
time sync regularly.

BTW, can we PLEASE get a better message for this, Twitter?  I spent a
bunch of time trying to figure out why my _unchanged_ library suddenly
started 401ing with invalid/used nonces... and this was the cause...
my machine was 11 minutes off UTC (fixed that, but still... a
reasonable message would have helped).

Marc