When querying for users directly using users/show we will indicate if they
are suspended or not. If they are deleted it's as if they never existed so
you will get a 404. For methods such as timeline responses, and
followers/friends, suspended and deleted users are filtered out.

Remember a suspended user can be reinstated, and that users can change their
screen_name leading to 404s if you query for them in that way. Assuming a
user is deleted or suspended permanently using users/show is not sensible,
and you should instead rely on Twitter filtering the users out of other

As for the missing users could you please add the screen_names to this
ticket in our issue tracker:
    http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=1784

Best
@themattharris