Thanks Dave,
this could be a good approach.
Something like a "social proof" is good enough, and this
brings me to mind that project:

https://whatapp.org/

Where any developer can submit their app, and any user can comment it:
https://whatapp.org/twitter/

In any case,
answering this question involves a social point of view,
a design and UI experience point of view, and a "politically correct"
point of view (as you stated don't say what you are not doing by
batch processing...), so you got some good points of those ones ;)

Also, there's a difference between Twitter and Facebook, because
of Facebook Canvas. "Embedding" the app in Facebook give the users
more confidence with the app itself, since is not something out of the
box,
but it something "belonging to" Facebook itself.

So if you trust Facebook, you probabily would trust such an app.

I figure out also the different UI experience between Twitter oAuth
popup based or redirect based and  - finally - via the xAuth on
mobile devices.

Those three ui experience, bring us a lot of questions
about which is the best user experience during the authorization
process.

Cheers,
LP