I am currently integrating Twitter with a small social network. I am
using PHP and the twitteroauth library.  The idea is that a user can
sync their account to their Twitter. So when they post on their wall,
it will send a tweet and it will post their tweets onto their wall.
Currently, I am gathering user tweets via a PHP script run by cron
that runs like this:

1. go through every user that has connected to their twitter account
2. pull the last 20 tweets for each user.
3. See if any of these tweets are new. If so, deposit into database.

My worry is that we make a call to Twitter for each user connected and
we'll quickly hit our rate limit, even if we get whitelisted. Is there
a more streamlined way to gather people's tweets?