If you are programming with PHP, I recommend the Phirehose library. It
makes it really easy to use the follow parameter to gather all tweets
for users by user_id:
http://code.google.com/p/phirehose/

Fenn Bailey has done a good job with it. Best of all, you can still
use basic authentication instead of OAuth! You don't run it as a cron
job, but you must be able to run it from a script that is a continuous
background process. If your webhost lets you use the nohup command,
you are all set.

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 5:09 PM, mage26 <mag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the best method to get statuses from multiple users using
> streaming? Do I have to use Site Streams in order to get this
> information?
>
> On Nov 10, 11:21 am, yaemog Dodigo <yae...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 11:08 AM, mage26 <mag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I am currently integrating Twitter with a small social network. I am
>> > using PHP and the twitteroauth library.  The idea is that a user can
>> > sync their account to their Twitter. So when they post on their wall,
>> > it will send a tweet and it will post their tweets onto their wall.
>> > Currently, I am gathering user tweets via a PHP script run by cron
>> > that runs like this:
>>
>> > 1. go through every user that has connected to their twitter account
>> > 2. pull the last 20 tweets for each user.
>> > 3. See if any of these tweets are new. If so, deposit into database.
>>
>> You could easily replace this by using the streaming API. No rate limiting
>> no cron job, just works.
>> --d

Adam Green
Twitter API Consultant and Trainer