Dewald, I can't speak for Twitter, but I think you are missing the
path they seem to be building. As an independent developer you can
still use the streaming API at the default level of 400 keywords and
5,000 follows for free. That is plenty to get a site started or build
a proof of concept for a client at no cost. If the site gets traction
or a client likes it, then you charge for it and get the money to
scale up. The client could be the corporate purchaser of the feed, or
if you have a site that charges for access, then you'd be crazy not to
get limited liability by incorporating as an LLC or S corp. That costs
$500 to file for in most states.

I have no idea what Gnip's final prices will be. If they are
exhorbitant, Twitter will either die, or they will give wholesale
status to multiple vendors and let the market figure out the wholesale
price. I think they are smart enough to choose the later. The big
thing, the REALLY BIG thing, is that I just used the word price twice
in relation to Twitter. That means people will pay for Twitter stuff.
That means developers can get paid for Twitter stuff. Hooray! I like
getting paid. I don't mind paying others if it means I can also get
paid. As long as everything is free, nobody gets paid.

Don't you want to get paid for your work?

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Dewald Pretorius <dpr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The minimum Gnip charge is $500 per month, with a minimum of a year
> contract, if you want to use Gnip in a production application.
>
> And that's before the -- still unknown -- additional access charges
> for the Twitter feeds.
>
> You can't use Gnip in a production application if you are not an
> incorporated business, so that excludes access for many developers,
> even if they can afford the charges.
>
> Maybe there's a secondary market here, for an incorporated business to
> provide access for one-man developers to Gnip data for a fee. Meaning,
> Reseller Inc subscribes to Gnip and gets the data feeds, and resells
> them to one-man developers. I haven't checked Gnip's TOS to see if
> that's expressly prohibited.
>
> On Nov 17, 2:51 pm, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn...@borasky-
> research.net> wrote:
>> Ryan, what about User Streams? I'm building something around User
>> Streams but it is a "non-display" analytics application. Am I at risk
>> for Twitter inserting another business into *my* data stream as well?
>> And I'm curious how some of the other Streaming consumers are going to
>> react to insertion of a monopoly middleman into their data source. I
>> briefly dealt with Gnip a while back and found their API hard to use
>> and their pricing exorbitant.
>> --
>> M. Edward (Ed) Boraskyhttp://borasky-research.nethttp://twitter.com/znmeb
>>
>> "A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." - Paul Erdos

> Change your membership to this group:

Adam Green
Twitter API Consultant and Trainer
http://140dev.com