I have an example of how to do this in my PHP library. You can find the
example here:

https://github.com/themattharris/tmhOAuth/blob/master/examples/images.php

The documentation for update_profile_background image is here:
    http://dev.twitter.com/doc/post/account/update_profile_background_image

One parameter which isn't documented is the 'use' parameter. This was added
recently and specifies whether the background should be used or not. If you
are uploading a new background image the use parameter will default to true.

Hope that helps,
@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/themattharris