"Twitter or the user own the copyrights. Probably both. I meant it has
been made public
information, thereby granting some rights to those it was made public
to."

This is a good point, makes one think: "What exactly are the rights
someone
is implicitly giving up just by posting it in a public forum, and if
someone else is found
using such posted contents inappropriately, at a later date, what
legal recourse does
the original poster have, to have the inappropriate usage rescinded
and compensated for damages"

>From an authority source:
"Merely posting a work online does not relinquish all rights. As in
other environments, merely placing property in public does not release
property rights. The Internet context, however, may indicate that some
actions with respect to the work are implicitly permitted." (as long
as it doesnt harm the poster and the forum from which the post was
taken)

This is from
http://www.ipinfoblog.com/archives/intellectual-property-posting-as-implied-license.html

Facebook made the same argument.
“Anyone can opt out of appearing here by changing their Search privacy
settings.”

And someone asks "Yeah, but should they have to?"
http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/28/hacker-proves-facebooks-public-data-is-public/

I imagine this whole 'using twitter tweets only for analysis/
aggregation' is a non-issue, because you are only statistically mining
info, without any personal data attached to it. But RapLeaf removed
identifying info (name, tel, etc) from their profile databases once
complaints started coming in. To be safe, if you are mining tweets
only for analysis, I wouldnt store the userid, because userid is
'identifying info' that can be used to tie the tweet to its
originator. Most people wont bother, because the prevailing idealogy
is that if you tweeted, then you understood that the whole world knows
what you tweeted and you cant take the knowledge back.

~~~ Mohan Arun ~~~