Just realised you were referring to users/search. Like Search. the number of
results is not returned by this method.

The maximum results returned are 1000 with the per_page argument allowing
you to choose up to 20 results per page. In terms of behavior this feature
is the same as "Find People" on twitter.com.

In that interface we just provide a 'more' button when keeps being displayed
until the results returned are not equal to the per_page requested.

Best
@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/themattharris