So to answer my own question here a bit, I think that geo has been
"replaced" by coordinates (at the status level) - but that place does
not replace coordinates, but is rather used alongside it in some
cases.

It appears that they are used together on quite a number of
occasions.  A lot of foursquare statuses appear to provide an exact
location in the coordinates (status) property *and* provide place info
that "frames" the exact location in a bounding box of the surrounding
city (for example).

It looks like twitter.com's implementation uses both coordinates and
place to display their embedded maps, which is cool.  So I'm moving
forward on the basis that I should be paying attention to both status
level coordinates and place data.

Would be great if someone could confirm my presumptions are correct
here.

Cheers,
dw.