I double-checked my code, and I'm only calling statuses/update once:

        $connection = new TwitterOAuth($ctck, $ctcks, $ot,$ots);
        $opResult = $connection->post('statuses/update',
array('status' => $statusUpdate), TRUE);
        if (!$opResult['id']) {
            $msgText .= $opResult['error']." ";
        }

This is code that was working fine, until recently (no changes).