Hi Folks,

We're going to rollback a subset of these changes for now. Before we give
this another try, we'll let everyone know the specific pain points and give
some time to adjust to them. In the meantime, those who experienced trouble
today will want to verify that their libraries are doing the right thing in
regard to the bullet points I posted above.

Also useful is making sure that you don't send additional headers related to
basic auth in an OAuth request, that you're using the proper, versioned
api-subdomain end points, etc.

Dave: It's pretty crucial that you send an oauth_verifier on the access
token step. It's not valid OAuth 1.0a without it.

Sorry about the mess folks. We should never have let these bugs persist for
so long.

Taylor

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Tom van der Woerdt <i...@tvdw.eu> wrote:

> Waiting doesn't help solve the issue. The spec hasn't changed, the API is
> just a bit more watching for the mistakes which some developers tend to
> make.
>
> I'd recommend diving into the code and fixing the errors, instead of asking
> the Twitter API team to accept your "broken" OAuth implementations. :-)
>
> Tom
>
>
>
> On 12/2/10 11:42 PM, LeeS - @semel wrote:
>
>> I am using this library on all my sites:
>> https://github.com/jmathai/twitter-async,
>> all of which are now broken and fail to let anyone log in.
>>
>> Any way this can be rolled back until all the various oAuth libraries
>> people are using are brought up to date?
>>
>> Lee
>>
>> On Dec 2, 5:35 pm, Dave-twiends<i...@davesumter.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Taylor, yip unfortunately I wrote my oauth code about 18 months
>>> ago, before most of the libraries were out, so there could be anything
>>> wrong. It's probably not 100% spec compliant, which is probably why it
>>> broke.
>>>
>>> I've tracked down the issue to the access_token exchange part of the
>>> process. The access token's that I have from before are still working,
>>> just can't get new ones. I've noticed I'm not passing oauth_verifier
>>> back in the request, which could be causing the issue..
>>>
>>> Will let you guys know how I get on...
>>>
>>> Thanks for the pointers
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> On Dec 2, 9:57 pm, Taylor Singletary<taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  We've corrected a number of long-standing OAuth-related bug fixes --
>>>> mainly
>>>> in areas where we more liberal than we should have been when verifying
>>>> signatures.
>>>>
>>>
>>>  Here are a few things to verify:
>>>>
>>>
>>>  * Verify that you are using your consumer key where the consumer key is
>>>> supposed to go. Compare this to what you see for you app on
>>>> dev.twitter.com
>>>> * Likewise, verify that you are using your consumer secret where it is
>>>> supposed to go. Compare this to what you see for you app on
>>>> dev.twitter.com
>>>> * Laugh at the obviousness and absurdity of a check like that. Cry a
>>>> little
>>>> because we already know some people were doing the wrong thing here,
>>>> especially on end points that didn't require authentication.
>>>> * Verify that your timestamps are in range
>>>> * If you're sending a request to a resource that doesn't require
>>>> authentication but you're including OAuth credentials:
>>>>    - we used to just give you a free pass even if the credentials were
>>>> incorrect. Hey, it doesn't require auth, so why bother checking?
>>>>    - now we check this. if you pass us an OAuth header or anything that
>>>> looks like an OAuth-based request, we will check it for validity, even
>>>> if
>>>> it's a resource that doesn't require auth.
>>>>
>>>
>>>  We haven't changed anything about our actual core signature validation
>>>> code
>>>> -- what was a valid signature before should be a valid one now. We're
>>>> just
>>>> checking the validity in more use cases than we were previously, and
>>>> checking other validity points we were flexible with previously.
>>>>
>>>
>>>  Taylor
>>>>
>>>
>>>  On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Twitlonger<stu...@abovetheinternet.org
>>>> >wrote:
>>>>
>>>
>>>  I'm seeing a lot of invalid/expired token errors.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>  On Dec 2, 9:21 pm, Dave-twiends<i...@davesumter.com>  wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> I noticed I've just started getting 401's for all my oAuth requests.
>>>>>> Seems to be happening on more than one site for me.. My application
>>>>>> keys and status still look good..
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>  Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue..?
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>  --
>>>>> Twitter developer documentation and resources:
>>>>> http://dev.twitter.com/doc
>>>>> API updates via Twitter:http://twitter.com/twitterapi
>>>>> Issues/Enhancements Tracker:
>>>>> http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list
>>>>> Change your membership to this group:
>>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk
>>>>>
>>>>
>>
> --
> Twitter developer documentation and resources: http://dev.twitter.com/doc
> API updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/twitterapi
> Issues/Enhancements Tracker:
> http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list
> Change your membership to this group:
> http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk
>

-- 
Twitter developer documentation and resources: http://dev.twitter.com/doc
API updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/twitterapi
Issues/Enhancements Tracker: http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list
Change your membership to this group: 
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk

Reply via email to