It depends on how fast you need these results. The streaming API lets you
collect tweets for up to 400 keywords at one time. You can divide your
keywords into sets of 400 each, and collect tweets for 2 hours per set. That
will let you sample tweets for 50,000 keywords over a 10 day period. If you
cut out nighttime hours for your test area, it might take 2 weeks.

The other option is using the streaming API's sample method, which gives you
1% of the total tweet stream. I've never worked with it myself, but if it
really does deliver this percentage that is still hundreds of thousands of
tweets per day to examine. It should give you some decent data.

http://dev.twitter.com/pages/streaming_api_methods

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Andrew <thefi...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> I am working on a website that generates ideas for brandnames. As part
> of this website I need to search twitter for 50 000 words so that I
> can analyse the results and use them in one of my algorithms. Do I
> need to contact Twitter staff to do this? There are rate limits on
> some APIs and not sure if the streaming API has search methods.

> Issues/Enhancements Tracker:
> Change your membership to this group:

Adam Green
Twitter API Consultant and Trainer