Aha! Problem solved!

As you noted, print_r($v) wasn't printing anything. Moving print_r($t) to
after the get() call wiped all output but '<pre>'.

The problem? For some reason, my PHP installation wasn't displaying errors.
A look in the apache log revealed that this was masking 'Fatal error: Call
to undefined function: curl_init()'.

Installing php5-curl and rebooting solved my problem, and now I appear to be
in business.

Thank you ever so much for your time, Abraham. I wonder if it would be an
idea for your library to catch the failure of curl_init() and add an error
status to the object? No biggie, though. There was no-one to blame but
myself here; sorry!

Dave
(@HappySinger)