Deleting applications is a known issue at the moment being tracked on our
issue tracker:
    http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=2040

Regarding your application. Can you check under:
    http://dev.twitter.com/apps
That your application is read and write. The error message is very specific
and is only triggered by an application which is read only. If it is read
and write, try changing it to read only and then back again.

Best,
@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/themattharris