There are some very strange behaviors when using the statuses/update
API call to send a tweet with a single asterisk.

1. If you send a tweet with just a single asterisk:
*

The API returns 200 and the response string contains the previous good
tweet in the timeline. No new tweet with an asterisk appears in the
timeline. Repeating this API call results in the same behavior.

2. If you send a statuses/update with a single asterisk followed by a
single word:
* test

The first time you do this, the API returns 200 and the response
string contains the previous good tweet in the timeline. No new tweet
with the string sent to the API appears in the timeline. If you repeat
the same API call, the API returns 500 and the response string has an
HTML page that something strange happened:
<h2>Something is technically wrong.</h2>
to normal soon.</p>

No other use of the asterisk has a problem that I can find. These bad
tweet strings cause similar problems on Twitter.com.