Thanks, Tom. That was perhaps the very root of my problem.

I had been used to errors being shown by default. This was a relatively
recent OS install. I don't know if something has changed in recent months (I
use a LAMP stack on Ubuntu), but I had to change display_errors to on in
php.ini, which I had never had to do previously on a fresh install as far as
I can recall.

Anyway, this is becoming less and less Twitter-related, so I'll tip my hat
to all the kind and helpful people and get back to my coding fun. :-)

Dave
(@HappySinger)