It looks like your backend is using user agents to determine the type
of video to play.

When video plays in Safari, it sends out the Safari User Agent.
Something like:
Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/
531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B500 Safari/
531.21.10

Your backend is handling that just fine.

But when an app like Twitter uses the built in video player, you'll
get a user agent like this:
AppleCoreMedia/1.0.0.8C148 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X;
en_us)

Your backed fails to recognize that this user agent is from an iPad.

Cheers,
Peter Boctor
@boctor