On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:37:18 -0800 (PST), "@IDisposable" <idisposa...@gmail.com> wrote:

http://search.twitter.com/search.atom?rpp=100&geocode=38.627522%2C-90.19841%2C30mi&since_id=28525950136229890
I get tweets like this:
http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/show/28525953676218368.json

We're talking about a location search for St. Louis MO, radius of 30
miles. We're getting a guy from "Jeffersonian", but timezone is
Madrid.

Any ideas where this wire got crossed, when we can get it uncrossed,
or what the long-term viability of location based searches are?

Marc Brooks
http://stltweets.com

I filed an issue last year and it was closed as fixed on January 8, 2011:

http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=1348

I have a Perl script that will grab tweets in a 25 mile radius of Portland, Oregon and dump them to CSV. I haven't run it in a while, though, so I don't know if the results are better now than when I filed it. If you have something to reproduce this, maybe you should re-open issue 1348.

I guess given the low percentage of people who enter their actual location in the profile, as opposed to being from "Botland" or "Earth" or "Hilbert Space", maybe the Search API should only return geotagged tweets when a geocode radius is specified, like the Streaming "filter" API does. It's that or somehow "crowdsource" locations, which is going to violate peoples' privacy if done without permission. To me it seems like a tradeoff between clean but very sparse data or messy but copious data that can be imputed or cleaned via crowdsourcing provided permissions can be obtained. I can't put a business case forward for either option from Twitter's perspective, but I think I'd prefer as a researcher to have Search adopt the Streaming model and only return geotagged tweets when a geocode parameter is specified.
--
http://twitter.com/znmeb http://borasky-research.net

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." -- Paul Erdős