Hi Zhe,

The information is provided by the application making the status/update API
call. How that information is gathered is application and device specific.

It could be manually chosen by the user of the application, or identified
using the GPS in the device. Some devices may choose to use the IP of the
device.
Whichever method is used the API only captures the lat/long or place_id.

Extra information such as the cell phone tower is not included or supported
by Twitter.

Best,
@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter