In the past there were mixed conditions on whether you'd be evaluated under
IP-based limits when a method wasn't expecting authentication (yet was being
presented with it). These were bugs and it took us awhile to fix them.

Passing authentication to the API is saying "I'm doing this on behalf of a
user" and thus it will be considered under a user's rate limit. Our docs
right now don't have the best wiggle room in delineating the difference
between "requiring auth" and "supporting auth" -- most Twitter API resources
support auth, even if they don't require them.

The only reliable way to be considered under an IP-based limit is to make a
request without any kind of authentication. So if there's a specific mix of
rate limiting scenarios you're trying to navigate, just be explicit about
using auth or not.

Taylor