This is pretty easy to miss -- "notifications" in this context enables the
target user to be among those the "current user" receives SMS notifications
for (if they have that feature enabled) -- it's the equivalent of sending a
POST to notifications/follow for the user.

The default "follow" behavior on Twitter.com is just the simple POST to
friendships/create you're already doing.

As for include_entities in this context -- probably not necessary unless you
were going to display the "just followed" user's most recent status and
wanted to use entities to help you render it.

@episod <http://twitter.com/episod> - Taylor Singletary - Twitter Developer
Advocate