I too am still worried about the DM limits.

If I understand the User API correctly.
- The user stream means that an unlimited number of DMs can be
received as there is no rate limit on receiving (consuming) of data.
- The application would send DMs via the REST API and therefore is
limited to sending 250 DMs per day.

For my application this is still a problem as my target is social
learning and part of that is DMs to send/receive responses to test
questions and such--things that need to be private. Conversations
between learners are tweeted.

So the design changes we need to make are:
- Consuming information (Tweets, retweets, and DMs) is done via the
user stream API
- Sending tweets and DMs is still done by the REST API.

It is going to take some time to get my head wrapped around this.
Until the announcement yesterday I was not paying attention to the
streams as they did not fit all that well with my application. Now I
see that it is important to create an application that uses both as
the app is both the consumer of users activity (DMs) and originator
(DMs and tweets).