This is the message I received yesterday from Twitter Support:

sutorius, Feb-11 10:40 am (PST):
Hey Brian,

In the short amount of time since you've written in, our director of
Platform, Ryan Sarver, has posted an update on whitelisting and that
we will no longer be approving such requests:
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/1acd954f8a04fa84

I'm sorry if this causes any setbacks to your development process.
There's some good discussion on that thread, and I invite you to
participate if you want. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Maybe somebody somewhere in the line had some misinformation, but this
makes it sound like there will no longer be any DM whitelisting
either.  So my question still stands, what is the fate of DMing?  My
company's product sends notifications of grade changes to students,
which obviously need to be sent privately.  We planned to expand into
messaging on Twitter, but it kind of sounds like that's no longer an
option.  :-(