Looking at 3rd party libraries, I realized how ... nasty their auth flows
were, so I walked through the pieces of:
http://hueniverse.com/2008/10/beginners-guide-to-oauth-part-iv-signing-requests/
 and
created my own simple OAuth function with the proper encodings, escapes,
etc. That got me to the point of being able to successfully make a call to
verify_credentials.

I then found that I could stream using a single word, or sequences of words
without spaces. It's then I discovered, as you suggested, that the body of
the post must be using the OAuth escape method for parameters as per RFC
3986, as opposed to RFC 2396, which I had been using for the body (and which
was provided by my language libraries).

So frustrating, but I got it working. Thank you for the help.

 - Josiah