Looking at 3rd party libraries, I realized how ... nasty their auth flows were, so I walked through the pieces of: http://hueniverse.com/2008/10/beginners-guide-to-oauth-part-iv-signing-requests/ and created my own simple OAuth function with the proper encodings, escapes, etc. That got me to the point of being able to successfully make a call to verify_credentials.
I then found that I could stream using a single word, or sequences of words without spaces. It's then I discovered, as you suggested, that the body of the post must be using the OAuth escape method for parameters as per RFC 3986, as opposed to RFC 2396, which I had been using for the body (and which was provided by my language libraries). So frustrating, but I got it working. Thank you for the help. - Josiah -- Twitter developer documentation and resources: http://dev.twitter.com/doc API updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/twitterapi Issues/Enhancements Tracker: http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list Change your membership to this group: http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk