On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 01:32:27 +0530, Umashankar Das <umashankar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Relevance in  microblogging. Big opportunity but very difficult to
define. Last i read, even google is stumped.

Cheers
Umashankar Das

I don't think it's relevance that stumps Google so much as privacy. It's a lot of work for users to control how much they reveal and to whom, and the "Holy Grail" of "permission marketing" - timely, relevant and personal - runs square up against that. I'm cynical enough to think that the sole consumer benefit that has come from social media, including Twitter and Facebook, is the ability to talk back to granfalloons like the State Department, United Airlines and Google. Everything else about the technologies simply reduces costs to marketers, and those cost reductions are not passed on to consumers in the form of less expensive or higher-quality products and services. ;-)
--
http://twitter.com/znmeb http://borasky-research.net

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." -- Paul Erdős