Hi there,

In most cases for native clients on iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and so on,
developers prefer to use xAuth <http://dev.twitter.com/pages/xauth> for
token negotiation. To use xAuth, you need permission from Twitter which you
can inquire for by emailing a...@twitter.com with verbose details about your
application(s), screen shots of it in action, and so on.

If your service already supports Twitter outside of the mobile app space,
and you already provide an auth mechanism for your service that is not
Twitter (for example, a username/password combo) then you might want to
require your users to log in that way into your application, then send the
appropriate access token you already have for the user downstream to the
client application. Likewise for upstream -- if you need users to initiate a
relationship between your service and Twitter on the mobile device itself,
you'd make that negotiation happen on the device, then send the access token
upstream to your servers for use in the core service.

Another approach that can ultimately offer you a greater level of
flexibility (at the cost of some greater maintenance costs) is to use
separate API keys for each platform your application is featured on (iPhone,
Android, web, etc.), re-negotiating Twitter auth in each platform as an
action the user is deliberately taking in the context of that device. You'd
then send access tokens upstream to your servers and maintain a mapping of
the user's various Twitter access tokens in respect to the device that the
use.

Finally, we always prefer you to use the standard OAuth flow as opposed to
xAuth. You can use dynamic callback URLs to target application-specific URIs
and simplify the web-based OAuth dance greatly. This approach frees you from
the stress & responsibility of directly collecting a username and password.

Taylor

@episod <http://twitter.com/episod> - Taylor Singletary - Twitter Developer
Advocate