Our application can sometimes be rendered within an HTTPS URL.  To
avoid mixed security content warnings in browsers, we were able to
selectively convert our search API calls so they use HTTPS.  However,
the profile image URLs returned by the search API are HTTP URLs, and
changing the protocol to HTTPS doesn't work (it seems like the image
servers don't support HTTPS).  This causes a mixed content warning
when we render those URLs as HTML images.

I would be OK with us having mixed content, but IE8 is particularly
bad at how it confronts users with this condition.  Is there way for
me to create an HTTPS user profile image URL that works?