Developers, users, and journalists are finding more creative ways to use
Tweets on the web to leverage the power of the network to spread news.  In
the past it’s been difficult to make these Tweets interactive, requiring you
to write an OAuth app simply to attach Reply, Retweet, and Favorite actions
to Tweets.

Today we’re releasing a simple new addition to the API called Web Intents
that makes it possible to make Tweets that you display on the web
interactive.  Web Intents provide popup optimized flows for all the ways you
interact with Tweets and users on Twitter: Tweet, Reply, Retweet, Favorite,
and Follow.  The new tool makes it possible for users to interact with
Twitter content in the context of your site, without leaving the page or
having to authorize a new app just for the interaction.  Web intents are
mobile friendly and easy to implement.

For example, here’s how you add Reply, Retweet, and Favorite links to a
specific Tweet:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js
"></script>
">Reply</a></p>
">Retweet</a></p>
">Favorite</a></p>

Detailed documentation is available at http://dev.twitter.com/pages/intents

To see Web Intents in action check out Wordpress.com’s great tool for
quoting Tweets in blog posts: Twitter Blackbird
Pie<http://en.support.wordpress.com/twitter-blackbird-pie/>.
 Here's a post that uses their tool to quote @jack's Tweets about our 5 year
anniversary <http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/13/twitters-beginning/>.  We’ve
also added these standard Tweet actions to our timeline
widgets<https://twitter.com/about/resources/widgets>that are used all
over the web.

We’ve also updated the display
guidelines<http://dev.twitter.com/pages/display_guidelines> with
some suggestions on how to make your Tweets actionable, and made the
standard Reply, Retweet and Favorite icons available for
download<https://dev.twitter.com/pages/image-resources>
.

Cheers,

Brian Ellin