The twitter widget used to call the old address, but a new version was
posted a couple of days ago (without incrementing the version number in the
comment at the top) that construct URLs of the 2nd form... guess they
standardised this and I'm pretty sure it changed over only in the last week
or so.

Line 844 of the documented source changed from
      var listBase = http + domain + '/';
      var listBase = http + 'api.' + domain + '/1/';

What can be annoying is that Google Chrome incorrectly is overly aggressive
about caching dynamically loaded javascript files (see
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=37711) , so for some
Chrome users list widgets won't display properly since the change unless you
explicitly add a cache-buster or similar (yeah, spent an hour trying to
figure what I'd done wrong just this morning)