I've been using a little library for nearly over a year now that I
knocked up quite a while ago to connect to the Twitter streaming
filter API. I've not looked into the site streams but I would assume
that site streams work in a similar way to the filter API. This
library maintains a streaming connection and implements what I
understand to match the reconnection logic required by Twitter too.

Source code is available here:
https://github.com/Kwwika/kwwika-tweet-streamer/tree/master/TweetStreamer

Feel free to give me a shout if you've any questions.

Phil
@leggetter