I tried speaking with Ryan Sarver directly, but he's forwarding me
here to the community advocates to answer. I believe this answer will
need to come top down from Twitter, as it's your rate limiting that
I'm most worried about.

I have a technical question for all of you in regards to the Search
API as I want to maintain full compliancy. Currently, the old Search
API implementation (albeit slower) provides a fuller result set and
allows for more flexibility in the types and combinations of searches
allowed. The manner I have developed my application would allow for a
number of daemonized worker instances running on different IP
addresses to make calls to the search API on behalf of the stored
OAuth credentials to avoid rate limiting issues.

I had a conversation with the Pluggio developer in which he stated
Twitter had threatened to shutdown his application if he didn't switch
to a different implementation of the Search API. The problem indicated
was that he was performing searches for multiple Twitter accounts,
which is exactly my use case. Site streams does not make as much sense
for my application given the search queries I wish to perform and the
necessity for logical AND operations on geo-location.

Do you foresee any problems with my current method of using different
IP addresses to stay under the rate limit? I'm trying to stay in full
compliance with Twitter's TOS and would love to find the most
applicable and API friendly solution. I know headway is being made
with Twitter's new search implementation so I would like to stay ahead
of the curve and not get myself stuck in a box.

I still need a method for polling for new search results (say, every
30 minutes, dependent upon the pricing plan) for non-logged in users.

Below is a scaled down representation of how I'm currently handling
searches to help you decide the best plan of action:

1) Searches are performed on a rolling queue basis, say one search
every thirty minutes. There can be a finite number of searches per
Twitter user (say 5 searches per Twitter account). There can be any
number of Twitter accounts.
2) Search results are stored locally for retrieval by a javascript
AJAX long-poller every minute to check for frequent changes.
3) When a user visits the search results page and filters results, no
API calls to Twitter are made, only a local query is required

Due to this process, the queue is constantly searching for the next
searches and mentions to perform. I foresee rate limiting concerns
cropping up with searches being performed for any number of users.

Can you steer me in the right direction to avoid shutdown notices or
access revocation?

Regards,

Corey
@cballou