If you're interested in the past, the Streaming API isn't the right tool for
the job. Any Streaming API connection should be long-lived (not based on an
ad-hoc query) and primarily concerned with the real-time statuses and events
being streamed. The count parameter works for rewinding certain kinds of
streams, but is not meant as a tool to be used to fetch "something like the
100 last tweets given a search term" -- the Search API is the appropriate
tool for that particular job.

@episod <http://twitter.com/episod> - Taylor Singletary