Hi Gonzalo,

There's no way to toggle between protected and unprotected account states
via the API -- the only valid way to change the setting is for the user to
do it of their own volition using a web browser while logged in to Twitter
-- any automation of the submission of that toggle state by POSTing to the
page outside of the standard user-browser narrative would be very frowned
upon.

There is no way to set the protected state of a single tweet. Toggling
between the two account-level states effects all tweets issued by that
author and changing it for the purposes of a single tweet is inadvisable.

I would recommend that you dismiss the idea of manipulating a dynamic
protected/unprotected state and pursue an alternative.

@episod <http://twitter.com/episod> - Taylor Singletary