Interesting ideas. I have started to do that a little by setting up a
php proxy script on another webserver and checking to see if my
remaining hits are really low, and switch over to querying through the
proxy if it's low. The #1 problem with that method is that I'm using
shared hosting which can drop the limit based on what other users are
doing on that particular web server.

But I hadn't thought much about asking other random people to help
spread the load.

IF I'm having a few people use OAuth to make the calls on my behalf,
it doesn't matter if they're on the same IP, right?