From: twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com
[mailto:twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Derek
Gathright
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 12:09 AM
To: twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [twitter-dev] Re: A new permission level

Matt Harris said:

>> Why are permissions attached to the user token?
>> Permissions are attached to the user token to ensure an application
only has the access a user has authorised.

Only because that is the way the system is currently built, but it
doesn't have to be that way (see: Facebook).

>> If permissions were not attached to the user token an application
would be able to change the level of access they have without the user's
knowledge.

Not if there were no API for it and permission changes must be done by a
user inside twitter.com (the logical thing).  For additional security,
have an opt-in/out email when permission/settings change on a user's
account so they are aware of any changes (see: Banking websites).

>> If you tie the permissions to the application each user token would
need to be invalidated whenever an application's permissions are
changed.

Yes, and that's only because that is the way the system currently
operates, which is a nuisance for both the developer and user.  Imagine
if every time I changed any of my Facebook permission settings (a common
thing), I had to re-authenticate every. single. app.  That eventually
leads me to leave permissions as wide-open as possible to avoid the
annoying task of re-authentication, defeating the purpose of permissions
in the first place.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I understand why it was originally
built the way it was and I understand why Twitter is adding the new
permission.  I'm just saying there are improvements that Twitter should
consider to prevent these types of problems going forward. This same
outcry will happen next time you add a permission setting, and the time
after that, etc...

Another suggestion, would it hurt to say "Hey, we're thinking about
doing X, what do you guys think?" That way we can give you feedback
before any firm decisions or deadlines are set.  Those types of
conversations used to be very common on this list.  Twitter has some
smart & talented people working for the company, but there are also many
smart & talented people on this list that would love to be involved in
these types of things before it becomes an issue and it erupts into a
65+ reply email thread with deadline extensions.