Hi,

Going through the docs on statuses/show (http://dev.twitter.com/doc/
get/statuses/show/:id) we find ourselves going around in circles with
a particular issue, and were wondering if someone could help us out.
Specifically we're confused about what authentication does and does
not allow us to do vis-a-vis rate limiting (as authentication is not
required to make this call).  I realize that's kind of a jargony
sentence, so here's a completely fictional example, the answer to
which should answer our question:

Say we have N authenticated users using our application, and that we
have been archiving statuses by ID (and only ID) coming through their
public timelines for some arbitrarily long period of time, such that
we have stored thousands of status ID's per user.  Now, we'd like to
provide a feature allowing our users to recall various of these
statuses, and since we've only been storing them by ID, we'll be using
the statuses/show method to do this.  The rate-limiting doc (http://
dev.twitter.com/pages/rate-limiting) specifies that no more than 150
anonymous requests, or 350 requests via OAuth can be made per hour.
However, the statuses/show documentation explains that authentication
is not required.  Assuming we weren't doing any cacheing, what is the
maximum number of requests our application could make to the statuses/
show method, and how does it scale?  Specifically, could we make:
* 150 requests / hour (because authentication is not required, might
all calls count as being anonymous)
* 350 requests / hour (from the authenticated account that administers
our application)
* 350 • N requests / hour (making each set of requests on behalf of
each of our authenticated users)

And, lastly, does the status' relation to a given user affect
anything?  That is, if the status appeared in user n1's timeline,
would a request for that status via statuses/show be treated any
differently if it were made on behalf of user n1, as compared to some
other user (nx) or simply by the application administrator?

Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks.