You requested an answer from me on Twitter, so here I go.

1. "The XML page cannot be displayed" sounds like an error which your webbrowser gives, definitely not the Twitter API.
2. If you use PHP, you should use JSON, not XML.
3. The code you provided is completely useless if I want to answer your question. 4. You might want to use @abraham's TwitterOAuth class instead of writing your own OAuth/cURL code. https://github.com/abraham/twitteroauth
5. You might like to set $resource before using it.

Tom