I have the exact same issue, but am using C# and the Twitterizer library.

Also, I can't seem to prevent the Authenticate pop up appearing and asking
for permission despite the app already being authorised for this user and
the user already signed in to Twitter. Checked by logging into twitter and
going to Applications - I 'allowed' it by using Authenticate as per
http://dev.twitter.com/pages/sign_in_with_twitter the first time, but it
still pops up every time since.

Is it something to do with how the App has been 'allowed' access? Do I need
to 'allow' the app using the authorize URL first then using the authenticate
url for future requests?

Must be doing something wrong but I can't see what, can anyone shine any
light on this please?