While one should consider the access token strings as opaque identifiers, at
least as far as the present day is concerned, our access tokens have a
format 1234-xyzxyzxyz -- the "1234" part before the dash is the user_id of
the Twitter user the access token represents.

Calling account/verify_credentials without parameters using the access token
will be a more canonical way to get the user_id. If it doesn't return data
for you, either the user no longer has granted your app permission or
there's something amiss with your OAuth signing.

@episod <http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=episod> - Taylor
Singletary