Erm DM access is only granted from /oauth/authorize now as was stated
by Matt here
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/e954fc0f8b5aa6ec/a608900f722416b7?q=dm&lnk=nl&;

"The R/W/DM permission can only be granted through the /oauth/
authorize
route. Sign in with Twitter cannot be used to grant R/W/DM. "

And here https://dev.twitter.com/pages/application-permission-model-faq

"You said you were restricting this permission to the OAuth /authorize
web flow only. Will /oauth/authenticate (Sign in with Twitter) support
the new permission?